Barista and Student
Solid Pale Gold
Black With Colored Streaks
-Galena Petrovna Krylova, chimera hybrid of Darkstar and Nightcrawler, lab-grown and placed in the HYDRA-funded “White Devil” Program Framework.
-The Framework was a simulated a rural Russian town focused around training loyal super-soldiers from potential mutant children.
-Galena was born an obvious mutant (blue skin, gold eyes, pointed ears, spade-tipped tail), and even by age 4, she’s being treated somewhat badly by other children in the program, while others accept her as friend.
-The trainers, for their part, seem to expect her powers to manifest faster than others due to her obvious mutations and so push her a bit more than others
-Katya and Galena’s powers manifest
–Galena (age 8) catches Katya (age 16) sneaking out into the night to try and break into the Base facility and follows her. By time she’s noticed, it’s too late to send her back without alerting guards, so the sisters sneak in together.
–They find a large room of ‘stasis chambers’ and their trainers comatose inside them. In truth, the trainers are Framework avatars of real world instructors as its felt the AI lacks human touch in teaching, and the avatars are left in stasis when offline.
–The Framework AI recognizes belatedly the girl’s presence and creates a danger scenario to drive them off, staging a virtual attack on the Base by the ‘enemy oppressors’ the children were being trained to fight.
–The girls are ordered to flee for their lives and manage to sneak and fight their way free, but just as they are getting clear in a hotwired military truck, a grenade is thrown through the window.
–Katya dove atop the grenade to protect her sister, while a seatbelt-tangled Galena struggled and then disappeared in puff of black brimstone smoke, reappearing in her favorite hiding place in the woods, frantic with worry for having left her sister.
-Katya and Galena moved to Wasteland accelerated training scenario
–With both the Petrovna sister’s powers activated, however, they were advanced to the next stage of training, waking up in what they were told was the real world of a post-apocalyptic Wasteland. In reality it was yet another Framework, this one a hyper-accelerated one at 10x real-time and set to prove a harsh crucible to instill trainees a sense of being living weapons in service to the remains of Mother Russia.
–Ten years pass for them in less than one year of real-time, and in that time the sisters are formed into weapons with unique manifestations of powers honed, Galena’s teleporting and more ranged darkforce-projection, Katya’s phasing and more personalized shadow flight, invisibility, and weaponry.
–Katya takes to the training well, but Galena develops a rebellious streak that resisted any use of lethal force no matter what her trainers tried to discipline or condition her with.
–While Katya was released into ‘long term mission’ (i.e. exited into the real world), Galena was held back in the Wastelands and her acceleration slowed to try and give trainers more time to condition out her squeamishness with killing.
-Galena suffers, Katya active in real world until captured and deprogrammed
–The discipline grew progressively harsher, with more and more common review of her sister’s accomplishments in graphic murderous detail as ‘example’ she should live up to. It only made Galena more stubbornly determined to prove she could be a great asset to Mother Russia without being a killer. By the end, she was being practically tortured with subliminal conditioning to try and break her.
–Meanwhile in the real world, after a year of bloody active missions, Katya slips up and is caught by a mutant resistance group that helps to break her conditioning. She leads
-Katya and Jericho extract White Devil mutants
–Katya (age 25) convinces the group that helped deprogram her to let her guide an extraction of her sister and others in the White Devil Program. Jericho agrees to take responsibility for her and leads the mission.
–They manage it and Galena (age 19), Anastasia (age 11), and others are freed from White Devil Framework
-Group ambushed on way out, Anastasia disappears
–Somehow, HYDRA gets word of the group’s attempts to smuggle the freed mutants through Europe to nearest Institute facility in Britain and they are ambushed. In the messy process, Anastasia’s power manifests and she teleports to Limbo after badly injuring Jericho. Gabrielle (Jericho’s sister) and Katya manage somehow to get the rest of survivors and injured through the ambush and back to safety.
-Galena tries to find her place in the world
–After, the Petrovna sisters take up with Institute aid and begin trying to find a life for themselves.
–Galena, for her part, is wary of organizations trying to tell her what to do and after getting help to overcome the afteraffects of her conditioning, tries to seek out some semblance of normalcy.
–She finds that the world isn’t terribly easy for a mutant as obvious as she is and that people are mistrustful of her for her sinister apperance and tendency to subconsciously darken shadows around her.
–Once settled at least enough to speak the language and get refugee citizenship, Galena decides to go to school to try and find a new path in life
-After four years and various operations, the various White Devil mutants have tried to assimilate into US life and mostly congregated to Chicago.
-Galena (age 24) is seeking some relative normalcy in school, though she’s bounced between seven majors in four years and seems to enjoy the process more than any particular subject. She helps pay part of the rent working as a barista at local Chicago coffee shop. Despite that, she still moonlights occasionally with her sister on ops or with vigilante antics from a heroic streak. She similarly likes to travel about via her teleporting when given a chance.
Dark Elf Assassin Turned Bubbly Barista
A product of the Russian "White Devil" program, she's a chimera hybrid of Laynia Petrovna (aka Darkstar) and Kurt Wagner (aka Nightcrawler). Grown to be a Russian super-soldier and assassin, but broken free of it by her sister before the darkness took hold or she ever actually had to kill anyone. This gave her time to develop into a fun-loving student and coffee shop barista who sometimes moonlights as heroine or operative with her sister.
I'm Not Evil, I'm Just Spliced That Way
She looks like a blue devil, she's constantly shrouded in sinister shifting shadows, and she's got habit of shaping shadows into various implements (sometimes weaponry) out of habit or boredom. Needless to say, Galina makes some normal people kind of nervous, but really she's a sweetheart who just wants to be liked and normal. Making people look past it all to see the real her is always an uphill battle though.
Family is Forever
For all that she's got some trust issues with people in authority, family has never let her down and family goes way deeper than just blood. It's the people she trusts and loves and who she'd die for. It may not be a big group, but those who earn that favor have it for eternity, even if they do things to betray it. That consequently means her family's trouble tends to become her trouble as well, but that's the price of it.
Nonlethal Doesn't Mean Pacifist
She did the near impossible and held out from killing for years in the White Devil's harshest training program. How she got such an absolute and inherent aversion to murder, even in self-defense, they never could explain, but she just will not kill. Period. That doesn't make her a pacifist though and she can be profoundly violent when riled, but she stops herself from that final step into darkness and goes out of her way to save people, even her enemies, from it where she can. This can cause her to clash with more lethal sorts and means sometimes enemies can keep coming back, but it's her hard rule.
Never Give Up Hope
Perhaps the core reason she managed to hold to her particular code of honor despite her upbringing, Galena has a boundless sense of hope, even in face of the darkest times. She can keep up a smile when others would give in to despair, and more, she can share that hope with others and always tries to help out those needing that pick-me-up.
Power Suite One: Teleportation
The Nightcrawler half of her DNA gave her his ability to teleport via the Brimstone dimension in clouds of sulfurous smoke and drag people with her.
- Teleportation - Move up to three zones as an action, provided that you can see destination.
- Theme: Dark Conduit (Mutant Only) - Use of your powers is accompanied by pentagrams, Sulphur smells, flaring demonic sigils and other signs of the dark and unholy.
- Forced Movement - You move your target up to two zones
- Inflict Condition - You add an aspect to the target which you can invoke once for free
- Massive Bursts of Ill-Smelling Smoke -When you teleport, you actually move through another dimension, one where physics works differently. The process creates Massive Bursts of Ill-Smelling Smoke. -
- Bad Trip - You can port in, grab someone, and port in and out rapidly with them short distances, disorienting or even knocking them out from the strain and leaving them in the same zone they started. This causes the Brimstone dimension to bleed fire and smoke out from all the teleporting, charring the area you’re in a bit or covering it in choking smoke. - You can make a fight roll to teleport to and grab someone and, if successful, instantly take out a nameless NPC, or cause a mild consequence to a named NPC or PC.
Power Suite Two: Blue Elf Physiology
The other aspect of her Nightcrawler legacy, from birth, Galena has been an obvious mutant with blue skin, tail, and inhuman grace and reactions, even before her powers properly manifested. She can be restless when not in motion though.
- Super Agility - +2 Athletics when leaping, balancing or performing feats of agility. Leaps up to 2 stories, or rooftop to rooftop over no opposition.
- Uncanny Dodge - +2 to defense to dodge ranged attacks.
- Extra Movement - You can move up to two zones for free
- Extra Action - You can split your shifts between two different yet related actions adding a +1 to each action
- Restless -Your legs are perpetually coiled springs, and they don’t like being still. When you aren’t leaping through the air, you are Restless. -
- Hair-Trigger Reaction - If you are targeted by a ranged attack from another zone, you can use your superhuman agility to not just leap out of the way, but also leap toward your attacker, landing in their zone. This causes the attack to miss you, but it will still hit something in your zone.
Power Suite Three: Darkforce Manipulation
The half of her DNA owed to Darkstar unlocked in her a connection to the Darkforce dimension that allows the summoning and shaping of the shadowing black darkforce energy, primarily in concussive blasts, but she's also capable of summoning simple constructs out of the energy or shaping darkforce weapons or energy around her strikes to do more damage. A consequence of the combination of her heritages is that shadows seem to positively cling to her, darkening whenever she stays in one place too long, lending her a sinister air that doesn't help with her trouble making people trust and like her.
- Energy Blast - Make Shoot attacks with a range of up to 3 zones.
- Master Energy Blast - +2 Shoot when using energy blast.
- Item Summoning - Create items using Will. Hand held items with no moving parts are Average (+1) opposition. More complex items increase opposition. No electronics, explosives or precision manufacturing. +2 opposition for every other item already summoned.
- Theme: Shadow Projection - Whenever you use your power, you create swathes of living darkness or other shadowy manifestations.
- Area Attack - Attack everyone in a zone
- Physical Recovery - You recover from all physical stress
- Always Shrouded in Darkness - You can never actually leave the shadows—if you try to peel away, the darkness clings to you.
- Charged Shot - If you take a few seconds to concentrate, you can generate a blast with enough force to blow open the door to a bank vault, destroy a reinforced wall, or otherwise eradicate an obstacle. Of course, a blast this big is slow and imprecise. It’ll tear up the entire room.
Galena drops by the library to sneak a snack to the resident workaholic librarian.
SHIELD and company raid a house that manufactures the drug that gives human powers. Before it kills them.
Autumn is working on building some hedges to deter drive-by shootings in her community garden in the South Sprawl, when Galena stops by to visit. They chat a bit.
Katya and Galena set about seeing what sort of person Ian is by way of one stalking him invisibly and the other playing part of curious mutant college student. Trouble ensues when Ian picks up on Katya's power use and instincts lead to nullifying it...and everything she's formed of it.
The Petrovna sisters hit a mutant-friendly university gym for a run and a game of tag, which gets interesting with teleporters and flying ghosts
Katya returns to the city from a South American op to find her sister Galena at the Busy Beans and catch up. Talk turns from coffee concoctions to genetics to truffle wishes and expensive dreams.