"Let me look into that for you."
Who the heck knows which DNA is rolling around in Justin’s veins? He sure doesn’t. His adopted parents, Kevin and Charlene Steele, sure never told him, and he never asked. He’s his own man anyway, and he’s got his own legacy to carve out.
When he was fourteen he accidentally shapeshifted for the first time though. He became a baby raven. A tiny fluffy baby raven chick. And promptly fell into his mother’s purse. Where he got trapped.
Mom never tires of telling this intensely embarrassing story. Justin pretends to mind a little more than he does. And anyway, he’s lucky. He’s a trust fund baby who is free to do whatever he wants. He can put up with a little gentle ribbing from parents who love him.
Eventually he found out he could turn himself into all kinds of things. This has all proven to be insanely useful to the way he makes his living these days. Outwardly, he makes a little pocket money on the side as a freelance reporter, and is always in pursuit of an interesting story. But that’s just the byproduct. His real calling is getting the info. Scout, spy, detective, whatever you need. If it’s for a good cause, anyway.
And, unbeknownst to him, someday, probably, if it’s for the Corp. who wrote up the adoption contract with his parents, thanks to a contract clause he knows nothing about.
The Little Bird Who Told You
Justin's biggest joy is the challenge of not only getting the info, but getting it into the hands of the right people. That could mean selling the story to a publication, publishing it on his blog, or bringing it to friends who are going to put it to good use. He also quite literally and quite often takes the form of a bird. A raven was, after all, his first and favorite form.
Allergic to Routine
Justin craves constant mental stimulation, challenge, and novelty, so has neither the patience nor the disposition to devote himself to any one employer, course of study, or team. He doesn't do clocks or calendars so hot, either.
Justin takes free college classes for fun, hits the library for both fiction and non-fiction novels on a regular basis, and develops skills just because they interest him. As a result, he is something of a jack-of-all trades, in addition to being able to make unusual connections, correctly identify obscure references, and, in general, think his way through a variety of sticky problems.
Too Many Secrets
Justin excels at finding out things other people don't want him to know about, and he's not exactly known for keeping his mouth shut. While this allows him to make friends and help people it also means that he makes enemies both big and small.
Mechanical Effect: You can use Investigate instead of Empathy to defend against Deceive attempts. What others discover through gut reactions and intuition, you learn through careful observation of microexpressions
Stunt Cost: 1
Mechanical Effect: Twice per session, you may take a boost representing a windfall or influx of cash.
Stunt Cost: 1
Power Suite One: Shape-Shifting
The power to change form at will, and maybe without wanting to, is Justin's.
Special Effects: Partial Shifting - When Justin manages to succeed with style he can choose to shift only a portion of his body instead of the whole thing; for example growing gills while remaining in human form.
Special Effects: Chatty Cathy - When Justin manages to succeed with style he can retain the ability to use human languages while in animal form.
- Shape-Shifting - Create the advantage 'Creature Form' using Will. Most creatures are Fair (+2) opposition but especially large, small or complex forms may be more.
- Skill Shifting - Gain +2 to a single skill of choice when you change form for as long as that form is maintained.
- Super Senses - Pick a sense. +2 Investigate rolls using that sense. That sense cannot be impeded.
- Master Super Senses - +2 Investigate when using your superior sense.
- Master Super Senses * 2 - Justin has an intensely good sense of sight thanks to taking various animal forms over the years, even when he's in human form - +2 to investigate checks using sight. +2 to investigate checks using hearing (Master Super Senses * 1). +2 to investigate checks using smell (Super Senses).
- You Might Get Stuck That Way - Justin cannot shift when under great physical or mental stress. - If Justin has used up his physical stress boxes, his mental stress boxes, or both then he cannot change his shape at all, which means he could very well get trapped in animal form...or find himself unable to use his power at all if he's in human form.
- Hyperfocus - You can focus the full power of your super sense on someone anywhere in the scene. Because of your superior focus, you gain +4 to all attack and defense rolls against your target until you end this effect or the target is taken out. However, you cannot attack anyone else while hyperfocused, and you are liable to cause collateral damage because you’ve stopped paying attention to your surroundings.
Kaylee meets up with Justin and Ian to discuss angles of investigation.
Following up on Justin's intel, an undercover Ian investigates a soup kitchen with links to a Purifier church's possible involvement with the infamous drug ring,
Justin Steele recruits his best friend Roddy Holloway to help him get some footage documenting the people coming in and out of the Purifier church linked to a dangerous drug ring. Of course, complications are inevitable. A pair of zealots enter the building they're using, driving the two young men away in a hurry.
A random gathering of interconnected people seeking Starbucks end up discussing the new power-inducing street drug and existing investigations into it
Agent Carter and Justin Steele (shapeshifted to resemble a black cat) visit the WeHaul moving company to see what intel they can glean while Kaylee monitors nearby. Justin's 'disguise' earns him a bit more unwanted attention than expected.
Sam Carter takes Justin Steele back to the SHIELD base to have his injured arm tended to. They also plan their reconnaissance trip to the WeHaul moving company.
Kaylee Simmons and Raquel Munoz come to Ian Owenshire for help on two different cases. Or is it the same case? Justin Steele's nose for news starts twitching. Hard.
Immediately after his visit to the library, Justin Steele decides to see if he can't find the source of either the mysterious plant or the mysterious metal. He finds more than he'd hoped, but cuts it real close.
When Kaylee Simmons calls Justin Steele to the Cattle Car to divest himself of his info he finds a few unexpected additions in the presence of Jericho Trent, Samantha Carter and Ian Owenshire. Together, they take what he's brought them and turn it into some solid next steps.