Kailin King is a wanderer who goes wherever the winds take him. His talents allow him to provide for himself sufficiently wherever, usually as some form of security. He relies on the necessities of others, but isn’t above taking what he needs in order to survive, even at someone else’s expense. He’s a hard case that has seen dark times and made it through while watching so many others succumb to the shadows of the ever darkening world.
Born in Wakanda in 2015, Kailin had a front row seat to the end of the world. While cut off from most of the outside world, Wakanda itself had long been in decline under the yolk of the White Gorilla cult leadership, but the writing was on the wall for the rest of the world as well. Kailin didn’t necessarily favor the isolationist stance, but he did believe in the reckless and fickle nature of the people of the world. He was taught histories of how Genosha had attacked Wakanda while the rest of the world stood and did nothing for nearly three months while Wakanda suffered terrible losses.
Kailin’s abilities began to manifest when he was 15, just around the time the genetic arks were being discovered. This also meant that he was immune to the Genophage. At the hormonal age of 15, this meant many different things to a teenage boy in a world whose population had stopped producing children. He had fantasies of long lines of women lining up at the chance to be impregnated. This didn’t last long, however, as the seriousness of the world situation would quickly be made apparent to him along with the seriousness of his own role in it.
Project Repopulation started to be whispered as rumors that got stronger and stronger. These were not harm dens for horny young boys but cold, sterile laboratories where mutants were poked, prodded, and experimented on, then frozen like popsicles to be thawed until such time as more experimenting needed to be done. It was a sobering thought, but one that was just a story to Kailin. Wakanda had disassembled its advanced technologies and the country itself was devolving into primitive ways so he was not in danger of being snatched up and shipped off to one of the arks, but the stability of the country itself was fragile. Corruption had already grown rampant and he did not trust his own country not to sell him out to the highest corporate bidder.
When Wakanda and Africa in general finally fell to chaos, Kailin was an adult and had prepared himself for many years that at some point he would have to leave and fend for himself. He made his way to Western Europe where he eventually linked up with the Transhumanist Movement, pretending to be “enhanced” in Prague, then London. Being around so many powers so suddenly for the first time in his life, Kailin began to fully explore and develop his ability to manipulate powers. The Transhumanists around him were a wealth of new experiences and he soon became addicted to borrowing powers. He also began to learn that the more he learned about the supernatural possibilities of abilities, the more he was able to understand the breaks and fractures in reality around him and more importantly how to manipulate them.
Kailin became fairly self sufficient with the experience he picked up along the way, but he continued moving along, always looking for a better situation for himself. His stay with the Transhumanists only gave him a thirst for powers that made him a dangerous target when the Purists began to form. His default setting was to escape to a new city where no one knew his name and start again. He found his way to the US and eventually settled in as an assistant at the Institute in Chicago. He had plenty of experience to offer younger students and they had plenty of powers for him to feed on. He even began to develop a potentially lucrative side business recruiting from the school for corporations who needed particular skillsets from stable, reliable employees on their payroll.
Enthusiastic Reality Tamer
A Wakandan-born mutant that has the natural ability to manipulate powers, this self made man has learned to alter reality itself and has made it a habit to encounter and experience as many types of superhuman abilities as possible.
Power Is Addictive
There's always more to learn, always more to study, always more to experience when it comes to powers. At a time when people are dying off and mutants are quickly becoming the majority, it is a feast of experiences waiting to be enjoyed. Any time spent not under the influence of one power or another is time wasted in the mundane.
Looking for A Purpose
Experiencing powers is a short-lived and ultimately hollow thrill ride. Kailin needs something more in his life that gives him direction besides hunting down new powers. He just doesn't know how badly he needs it yet.
Description: If you can make your strength and nerve and sinew serve your turn long after they are gone...
Mechanical Effect: Use Will instead of Physique on any overcome rolls representing feats of strength
Stunt Cost: 1
Power Suite One: Reality Alteration
- Power Nullification - Project Fair (+2) opposition to using super powers into your zone, overcome with Will. Sense presence and general nature of powers.
- Power Replication - Mimic 1 stunts worth of powers by touch, not including special effects or collateral damage effects. Sense presence and general nature of super powers.
- Power Suite Duplication - Concentrate to duplicate a character's power suite losing access to yours in the process. You gain 1 stunt's worth of their power suite for each stunt's worth of power in yours. You also gain special effects, improved special effects and collateral damage effects. Powers remain for a full scenario or until you dismiss them.
- Lingering Power Replication - After you dismiss copied powers, you may keep 1 stunts worth of power until the end of the scene, or until you replicate another power.
- Theme: Chaos Conduit (Mutant Only) - Your powers are accompanied by manifestations of chaos such as lights, minor fortean phenomena and similar.
- Realm Warp - Create advantages on the scene using Will to represent reality manipulations. Aspects like 'No Gravity' in a small area have Fair (+2) opposition. Larger or more complex effects have higher opposition.
- Inflict Condition - You add an aspect to the target which you can invoke once for free
- Extra Action - You can split your shifts between two different yet related actions adding a +1 to each action
- Power-Hungry -Too much time thinking about how powers work and how to get access to them has left you a little psychologically damaged: you are Power-Hungry. -
- Super-Power Strike - A nameless NPC with powers gets taken out instantly, while super-powered named NPC or PCs must either take a mild consequence or lose access to their powers entirely until the end of the scene. This energy blast resonates throughout the area, causing everyone there—whether they have powers or not—to become dazed and disoriented.
Who can resist a free vacation? Not many but those who don't soon learn there's no such thing as a free lunch.