"Hello. Nice to un-meet you."
Michael Cross grew up as one of the Last Generation, a name he always found slightly misleading. While true, he was one of the last humans to ever be born, he still found himself one among billions increasingly crowded into sprawling cities with little prospects other than to enjoy the present as much as possible.
Tired of living in an endless, meaningless ‘work-party-sleep’ cycle at the age of 22 and stricken with a desire to do something with his life he signed up for a Stark-Fujikawa medical trial intended to test an experimental cure to the Phage involving cutting edge nanotechnology.
It backfired. Badly. The experiment activated something in his genetic code similar to but different from what causes Mutants to gain powers. But the stress and effects of that activation radically altered the nanites which in turn began to alter his body. By the time he was stabilized, half of his left arm was made of living metal.
He stayed for a time at Stark Fujikawa but eventually the tests ended unable to reverse his condition and he struck out on his own. For all the problems that slowly turning into a being of living quicksilver can bring, it had given him unusual superhuman ability and it wasn’t long before he found use for that in the world of private policing. Michael has lived in that world for the last six years and in truth he’s not bad at it. However if it’s not one thing it’s another. The nanite ‘infection’ within him continues to defy any possibly treatment and slowly converts more and more of him to some kind of organic metal. Of course, that won’t be a problem if his job kills him first.
Which it just might.
Cop with a Quicksilver Soul
Michael Cross is a man caught between a genuine passion for law and the realities that it mostly benefits those already in power. He's good at what he does, but the realities of corporate life and his own condition means that it does less good than it might otherwise.
The Price of Power
The very nanites that empowered Michael are also slowly making him into something else. It's a constant concern that wears on his state of mind and occasionally causes rather acute and unusual physical problems as well.
I AM THE LAW!
Years of working the private police scene has given Michael a decent name among his fellows and a practiced way of dealing with criminals, sprawlers and corporates. Of course, being such a visible sign of corporate law does not endear him to many even if he is working on their behalf.
Power Suite One: Long Arm of the Law
- Elasticity - You may interact with objects and make melee attacks in adjacent zones without moving. You may also alter your physical shape - though not your appearance.
- Natural Weapon - Fight +2 while brawling with natural weapon.
- Super Strength - +2 Physique in all situations that require pure strength.
- Theme: Technology - Your powers have a technological source. Powers that affect other powers, such as Power Nullification, do not affect you.
- Forced Movement - You move your target up to two zones
- Inflict Condition - You add an aspect to the target which you can invoke once for free
- Nano-Feedback - The nanites LOVE electricity and Michael's arm is //really// conductive. Getting shocked really hurts, and slightly speeds up his rate of transformation for a time. - Michael's left arm is a lightning rod.
- Eviscerate - You can instantly take out a nameless NPC, or cause a mild consequence to a named NPC or PC.
Power Suite Two: Living Metal Transformation
Michael is able to focus on the nanite infection and coat himself in living metal armor, change his shape or even refract light to make himself really hard to see. It does take a moment or so to do, though.
- Invisibility - May become invisible, including clothing and carried items. +2 Stealth against being spotted by living beings. Cameras and similar cannot detect you.
- Shape-Shifting - Create the advantage 'Creature Form' using Will. Most creatures are Fair (+2) opposition but especially large, small or complex forms may be more.
- Super Toughness - Armor:2 against any purely physical damage.
- Theme: Super Form - Using your power requires you to spend an action to assume your super-form. When that form is not active, your powers are undetectable.
- Extra Movement - You can move up to two zones for free
- Physical Recovery - You recover from all physical stress
- Extended Transformation Sequence - Your super-form is so powerful that you can’t dive into it instantly.
- Hyper-Mode - You are hiding an even more powerful transformation, one so powerful that the very act of transformation does damage to your environment, and which you can only hold on to for a few minutes at a time. While in hyper-mode, you can use special effects whenever you tie or succeed on a roll while using your power, in addition to when you succeed with style.
Michael apprehends a smuggler related to the Killmonger case
The results of Michaels annual physical are in - they aren't great.
After their find in Havana, Michael and Neke up in Florida.
A researcher from a project comes in to talk about experimental technology. Of course, it leads to more questions
Attending the security convention, Neke approaches the Cyberdyne representative. She is so not subtle about it.
Going toe to toe with a Corp is a dangerous thing but Michael and Neke seem to survive this encounter and find out more about the mysterious cyborg they encountered a few weeks earlier.
Michael returns from England with interesting news on the 'cyborg' that attacked Neke
Following the lead from the sting on The Virtuoso, Michael and others from Fifth Column walk into a trap.
It's time to a bait a trap for Michaels ... admirer. Things don't go quite to plan, but when do they ever do?
SHIELD Suits decide to find out what Fifth Column know about the reverbium found in the West Sprawl
Michael shares the information on what they found in the Sprawl with Neke
Fifth Column, along with other Law Enforcement companies are called in to quell a riot in the West Sprawl. Neke is confronted by someone ... interesting.
The Fifth Column cryptologist has been able to decode the logs that were sent to Michael. The information answers one set of questions but asks a whole lot more...
It doesn't matter who you are and how powered you, practice and training is important. Michael and Neke are serious about theirs.
Investigating the macabre gift left for him, Michael learns some more things about his ... admirer.
A gift is 'sent' to Michael which is going to cause problems for Fifth Column
Another popup amusement parlour and another strange occurence. What's going on?
Michael has to pick up Neke - after she gets into a spot of bother.
Kara runs into some violent complications during a delivery run. It's Raquel, Nekesa and Michael to the rescue, but what have they found themselves in the middle of?
Following a lead, Michael and Neke think it might be a dead one ... but find out otherwise.
Finding leads isn't a problem Neke and Michael have. Determining which ones to follow first ... is.