Roddy Holloway was an adopted test tube baby given to Candace and Robert Holloway from St John’s, Newfoundland. His parents were oil and gas magnates. When the bottom fell out of their business, they packed up and moved to Chicago. Both his parents (who had worked together back in St. John’s) started up a consulting firm. The family lost most of their previous wealth, but made enough to be comfortable.
Roddy was only 12 when they moved, but he had been in Newfoundland long enough for the accent to ingrain itself in him. It brought him a great deal of teasing, which is how he sharpened his wit and decided it was better to make people laugh at his jokes rather than at something he couldn’t change.
His parents told him what he was when he was old enough to understand. So his manifestation came as no surprise. At first, they thought it was telekinesis, but a series of tests revealed it for what it truly was – singularity manipulation. That particular power wasn’t altogether unexpected given his genetic soup, but it was something he was never given full details of.
The young man always had a passion for recording things. He was taking pictures from a young age and got quite good at it. So as he got older, he started taking on freelancing gigs, both for news and some ad shoots and portrait photography. He also started taking up videography and applying some of the same skills. He has some aspirations to go to school properly, but for now, he’s doing all right with his freelancing.
Clown Prince of Black Holes
Roddy has a difficult time self-editing and loves making people laugh. He also has a hard time knowing when to shut up. Some people are charmed by this, but it makes other people want to punch him in the face. He’s the archetypal class clown in a way - if a class clown also came with deep-seated insecurities and dangerous powers.
Sees the Unseeable
The more Roddy uses his abilities, the more he sees into a slice of the universe that doesn’t function on the same rules as ours. He taps into that black hole horizon every time he does more than float a pencil. He risks untethering completely from reality if he uses his ability to affect a large area, or if he uses his ability at medium to high strength multiple times in close succession. He may or may not be able to bring himself back from the brink, depending. It’s a little bit like peering at an Eldritch Horror - if the Horror was every single law of physics completely run amok.
Hello Time Bomb
It’s really only a matter of time before Roddy kills someone or wreaks mass destruction. It remains to be seen whether or not this will happen intentionally, or whether it will be accidental.
Roddy is a photographer and videographer. He’s got a good eye and he’s technically competent. He’ll take a fine portrait, but is also equally skilled at snapping a newsworthy action shot.
Mechanical Effect: When you create an advantage on an opponent using Provoke, you can use your free invocation to become the target of that character’s next relevant action, drawing their attention away from another target
Stunt Cost: 1
Power Suite One: Black Hole Manipulation
Roddy is able to manipulate singularities that mess with gravity around him. He can slow things, move them, and, if he can work up to it, cause things to crumple in on themselves..
- Flight - You may fly. Use Athletics to overcome obstacles or create advantages related to flight.
- Master Flight - +2 Athletics while airborne.
- Harm - Deal 2 stress by touch, add 2 stress to all fight attacks using your bare hands.
- Piercing Damage - Your Harm ignores armor ratings and works through clothing.
- Telekinesis - Mentally move small objects in your or adjacent zones. Attack with Will against targets in your zone by hurling things.
- Master Telekinesis - +2 Will when attacking with telekinesis.
- Theme: Gravity Manipulation - Use of your powers is accompanied by visible distortions, lensing and feelings of lightness or heaviness as gravity shifts to accommodate your whims.
- Mental Recovery - You recover from all mental stress
- Extra Action - You can split your shifts between two different yet related actions adding a +1 to each action
- Mental Hangover - Use of his abilities comes with mental strain. He experiences symptoms similar to migraines, including sensory overload, light sensitivity, numbness, headaches and auras.
- Unstoppable Telekinesis - You can use your mental powers to lift something up to the size of a tank and hurl it, either to destroy a wall or similarly robust obstacle, or to attack every target in your zone or an adjacent zone.
Justin Steele recruits his best friend Roddy Holloway to help him get some footage documenting the people coming in and out of the Purifier church linked to a dangerous drug ring. Of course, complications are inevitable. A pair of zealots enter the building they're using, driving the two young men away in a hurry.