Rowan wasn’t born, so to speak. She was part of an Ark, her mind placed in a framework that was assumed to be a duplicate of the early years of her progentior’s – Jean Grey – life. It seemed seamless to her, the good and the bad, and so she experienced a largely normal childhood until the death of a friend awakened her powers, at which time she was found by Charles Xavier and brought to the Xavier Institute.
She made friends, learned to control her powers, fought at the side of the original X-Men…and then she woke up in a very different world. Perhaps she should have been awoken sooner, but there was no record of who had ordered the creation of any of the clones within the Ark in which she was found. Sixteen years old, completely out of time and place, and with nothing to anchor her, she first went to the Institute. Some things were familiar, but others were too different. The dissonance was painful and disorienting, and so Rowan sought out a different path.
Just past eighteen, she joined SHIELD, offering to lend her skills and powers to their mission. After all, what’s more useful to an agency of spies and secrets than someone who can read minds?
Empathic Crusading Psychic
Above all else, Rowan cares. She doesn't just care, she empathizes, she feels for others. And because she feels for others, she's compelled to take action on their behalf.
The flip side of empathy is sensitivity. Because Rowan can literally feel what others feel, there are times when she's overcome with the emotions around her. Additionally, being able to understand where people are coming from can sometimes mean she's more likely to attempt to reach them than to declare them a lost cause.
Out of Time
Rowan has been in this time and world for the last two years, so she's not completely out of place. But her framework experience was one of a more Norman Rockwell Americana, based in the 60s and 70s. She can be too trusting at times, or forget just how things work now. And when it comes to technology? There's definitely a learning curve.
Practically Unlimited Potential
Rowan's genetic template comes from an Omega-level mutant, and though the process is imperfect, she's inherited the same type of power. Having Jean's childhood means she still has some of Jean's uncertainties, though, which can hold her back from exploring that potential.
Power Suite One: Telepathy
Rowan is a powerful telepath. She can read thoughts and emotions, speak mind to mind, and even convince others with the power of her mind. If neither of those work, she can always go to a direct mental attack.
- Influence - May roll Rapport vs Will. On success, may give the target a simple, short term command. Named NPCs or PCs opt to take 1 mental stress instead of following the command. No character will follow a command that will lead to obvious self harm.
- Telepathy - Choose one: Read emotions with Empathy, surface thoughts with Notice or deep thoughts and memories with Investigate in your zone or adjacent zone. Targets aware of telepathic capabilities may oppose with Will.
- Psychic Overload - When you're capable of reading all the minds around you on a whim, sometimes you can't actually keep them out. - When in the presence of a crowd fueled by strong feelings, -2 to rolls to use psychic power.
- Psychic Maelstrom - Anyone who ends their turn in your zone takes 2 mental stress, and anyone who ends in a zone adjacent to yours takes 1 mental stress. This effect persists until you choose to end it or the end of the scene.
Power Suite Two: Telekinetic
Rowan is capable of moving things with her mind.
- Telekinesis - Mentally move small objects in your or adjacent zones. Attack with Will against targets in your zone by hurling things.
- More Than I Can Handle - Rowan doesn't always have full control of her full potential. Sometimes stretching to do something she's not sure she can do ends up in doing a whole lot of other things she didn't mean to do.
- Unstoppable Telekinesis - You can use your mental powers to lift something up to the size of a tank and hurl it, either to destroy a wall or similarly robust obstacle, or to attack every target in your zone or an adjacent zone.
Rowan goes looking for leads into the house on the lake
IC date: February 22, 2051 | Cast: Rowan Grey
Rowan gets into the head of the Duplicate and it leaves her with a headache, but with some good information as well.
Who can resist a free vacation? Not many but those who don't soon learn there's no such thing as a free lunch.
A Framework simulation helps a team plan the takedown of the first Distribution Centre